We consider material matters to be those topics that have a direct or indirect impact on our ability to create or preserve economic environmental and social value for our organisation, our stakeholders and society at large. Material matters, therefore, include both risks that must be managed as well as opportunities that could be captured to enhance the viability of the business in the short, medium and long term.
Our material matter identification process
We follow a three-step process to determine which matters are most material to the ongoing viability of our business.
RESPOND AND MANAGE
Financial and operational
- Maintaining a strong revenue and managing costs.
- Maintaining balance sheet strength.
- Protecting the premium brand of diamonds.
- Ensuring product security.
- Mitigating risks posed by global economic movements.
For more information on our financial and operational material matters, see our financial and operational section.
Governance and ethics
- Protecting human rights.
- Prioritising business integrity.
- Ensuring transparent governance and remuneration practices.
- Ensuring corporate governance is compliant with industry best practices.
- Raising standards across the pipeline.
For more information on our governance and ethics material matters, see our governance and ethics section.
- Providing a safe working environment for our employees.
- Attracting and retaining qualified people.
- Providing skills development opportunities for employees.
- Ensuring our employees remain healthy.
- Engaging with employees and elected representatives.
For more information on our employees material matters, see our employees section.
- Safeguarding our communities.
- Ensuring positive stakeholder relations.
- Minimising our social impact.
- Working with communities to understand and meet their needs.
- Providing a framework for communities to benefit themselves.
For more information on our social material matters, see our social section.
- Managing water supply and quality.
- Managing carbon emissions and waste.
- Dealing with environmental and weather concerns at mining sites.
- Ensuring electricity supply and minimising energy usage.
- Setting up and maintaining a mine closure plan, including rehabilitation and revitalisation of mining sites and surrounds.
For more information on our environmental material matters, see our environmental section.